to discuss your custom project
The Point of Sale (POS) system has a more streamlined approach to using EMV devices than the rest of Skyware Systems, because credit card transactions will have the card present. In this case, clicking “Post” on a credit card payment will activate the PinPad to complete the transaction. The payment may Post directly, or it may need to be Authorized.
What is an EMV device?
EMV (which stands for Europay, Mastercard, and Visa respectively) chips are able to create a unique transaction code for each purchase their introduction was intended to protect people against some types of fraudulent activity.
EMV is a payment method based upon a technical standard for smart payment cards and for payment terminals and automated teller machines that can accept them. EMV chip cards use an actual computer chip placed on the top part of a credit card to communicate with terminals. These chips allow a much more intricate and secure transaction process to occur. Payment cards that comply with the EMV standard are often called Chip and PIN or Chip and Signature cards.
The EMV device is the machine used to make a payment using a credit card. The EMV device should therefore be on the counter or held for the customer to insert their card into it.
Any EMV devices for your property need to be configured into the system before it can be available. Remember it is a physical device that needs to be attached for use.
Steps to use an EMV device with POS
1. If the "Settle Immediately to Credit Card" box is checked, you can post the payment directly. On the live POS system, even with the EMV device, it is the Post button that activates the device. It should look similar to one of the two options below:
· Quick Sale screen showing Credit Card payment options
· Payment tab with Credit Card option selected
2. If the box is not checked, you will need to get authorization. You will need to click the button that says "Click to authorize Credit Card", which will turn on the EMV machine, and either the guest can insert the Credit Card or you can swipe it for them.
3. This will lead to a pop-up window for the Credit Card gateway your property employs - usually Shift 4 or Tenerum, although some properties may still utilize USAePay. Fill in the fields required and submit the form.
4. This will return you to the Restaurant Check page where the Authorization field and token field will now be completed, and the "Settle Immediately to credit Card" box should now be checked, indicating payment has been authorized.
Once the payment has been authorized in the Point of Sale (POS) system, the payment lines will appear on the check in red.
You should now Post the payment and the lines will be displayed in black, indicating that the payment has been taken.
Now that you have a better understanding of the application of POS in EMV device, if you're interested in any of our POS products, feel free to contact us.